Wednesday 24 June 2015

Bleeding Idiot is What I Am

     Who the hell runs out of their house, single-mindedly wanting to kill themselves, only to bloody forget about their "weapon" and leave the house with absolutely no way to do what they wanted to do? Me, that's who. Unless I can bash my head open with a book, a paperback one at that, I don't see how I could have killed myself with anything. And I was standing there, all determined-like, and then I suddenly remember that I left my knife at home. Seriously. I'm stupid until the last moment.

     Hmmm...I remember the Another anime I watched a few months ago (I read the manga long ago but only got to the anime recently), and if I were to use a quote from that anime. For the sake of this post, let's just skip all the plot things and even if it's spoilers, I really don't care anymore. Misaki Mei is a girl who has a doll eye implanted into her left eye for complicated reasons and that particular eye grants her a special power. According to Mei, the reason why the eye gives her such power is because:

     "Dolls are hollow, you see? Completely hollow in body and soul. That void that connects them with death. But hollow things seek to fill their emptiness."

     And so the power that her eye grants her is the power to see death. As she explains in Episode 10, in the conversation with

     "This doll's eye tells me you're not. I think I told you that it allows me to see things that should remain unseen. The...colour of death. The colour of things close to death. A colour I have never seen with my right eye. It doesn't belong with colours like red and blue. It's unique."

     I wonder then, Misaki Mei, how strong is that colour in me right now?

     Also, Misaki Mei has some of the best quotes I've seen in anime, my favourite being this one.

     It's an amazing anime, and I would do an introduction to it, but I'm really not in a good mood. I don't think my mood will go upwards from here...it seems to be permanently stuck like that. I will be glad when the end comes. Death brings a kind of relief that I don't think the people that are "far" from death can understand.

     Misaki Mei. If you know anything about Japanese, you would move to assume that the "Misaki" is written the same way "Misaki" is written for Ayuzawa Misaki from Kaichou wa Maid-sama. But you'll be dead-wrong (haha, see what I did there?). "Misaki" in Misaki Mei is written as 見mi崎saki instead of 美mi咲saki. The latter means "beauty" and "blossom" while the former means "to see" and "cliff". "Mei" instead of meaning beauty, is written as 鳴, which can be used to refer to a shrill cry.

     She is one of the better written characters, though my favourite, of course, is the Megane Boy Tomohiko Kazami. He has a greater role in the manga and doesn't turn evil there, but his completely psychotic behaviour in the anime is quite endearing too. Come on, I'm a person close to death. It is quite endearing to see Kazami go all crazy and murderous.

     Also...the OST and Opening songs. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment