Thursday 14 May 2015

Top 10 Favourite Legend of Zelda Songs

     Yes, I'm avoiding work again. Am I going to eventually do it? I guess I'd have to, unless I find an ingenious way to get myself sick in just one night. Even if I have methods to do so (which I actually do), I'm too lazy to go out of my way to accomplish such stuff. I don't want to do work, but if I end up spending more effort trying to avoid it, then it defeats the purpose entirely. What I would give for the school to offer H2 Psychology and take up the subject...alas, we are stuck with the mundane things in life. Still, even if they offered the subject, I know that the education system will find some way to make it completely boring.

     Well, as Edna St. Vincent Millay (if I remember the spelling correctly) has put it - "Life in itself/is nothing. An empty cup, a flight of uncarpeted stairs." She may seem quite the nihilist, but I can't say I disagree with her, neither do I agree entirely. I mean, if I'm going to spend my life decaying away and doing absolutely nothing productive (like homework, which I see as completely redundant since I have seen no correlation between doing homework and getting good grades), I might as well die and provide sustenance to the earth that way. Quite a bleak way to view the world, but I was never an optimist anyway.

     Before I go down the steep spiral slope sliding straight down into the darkness of my infinitely morbid mind, I should instead shift my focus back into the last remaining lights of optimism - retained only by the presence of others and fantasies.

     This was supposed to be a post about my Top 10 favourite Legend of Zelda songs...How did it end up being so utterly despairing? Anyway, the list below will contain both Overworld music and battle music and while I have mentioned that I'm not exactly good at conveying what I feel about the songs, I'll try my best. I mean, your MBTI is supposed to be your "raw personality" and you can certainly learn to overcome weaknesses inherent in your type (given you see the characteristic as a weakness).

#10. Temple of Droplets (Minish Cap [GBA])
 
     I think that Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap for the GBA is a highly underrated game. The game introduces a fascinating concept that hasn't been replicated in later games and remains the only one of its kind. This post isn't about spoilers though and I do intend, at one point in the future, do a post on my favourite Legend of Zelda games. I may be biased towards this game, since it's one of the first games I'd ever played (alongside Halo for the Xbox, Pokemon Emerald for the GBA and Fable TLC for PC).

     The music for Temple of Droplets is extremely simplistic, but is an excellent representation of the basic concept of the dungeon.
     This is possibly the most frustrating dungeon of the game, because anyone who knows me as a gamer (aka my different Clan mates in various MMORPGs and Smite) should know how much I loathe ice mechanics. That kind of slippery, difficult-to-control and maddeningly delayed controls make me want to hurl my GBA into the nearest wall. Still, the dungeon is amazingly beautiful and has cool mechanics, such as darkness and sunlight filtering. 

     The music suits the dungeon well, if only because the main instruments that create the beats for the music is reminiscent of ice and more specifically, the sound of multiple icicles shattering as they hit an equally chilled ground. Since the dungeon consists of both water and frozen over ground, this is extremely appropriate. The music itself can be quite repetitive, but given how frustrating the dungeon can be, it actually calms me down. *Turns on lantern* "Ok, just walk carefully around the corner..." *Slips off the tiniest little corner* *Respawns at start of room* "OMG, F*CK THIS DUNGEON!"

#9. Fi's Farewell (Skyward Sword [Wii])
      I've heard that Skyward Sword has some of the most amazing soundtracks of all Zelda music. I'm pretty sure that's bullshit, because I'm a hard-liner in believing that Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are still the best because I'm like a Nintendo GameCube fangirl or something. It's like being a genwunner in Pokemon. Still, I have to admit that Skyward Sword does amazingly well at the atmospheric kind of music and although I haven't played the game (sue me), it's something I can't deny. Does it mean I want to play the game? Nope. From what I've seen, Skyward Sword does a lot of handholding, in comparisons to the GameCube games and even Minish Cap. It's like going from playing Arena and Daggerfall for the Elder Scrolls, which are godawfully difficult games that few have succeeded in beating, to bloody Skyrim, in which I play on Master difficulty and have no trouble in any circumstances. Almost makes me wish for the days in which I turn Oblivion up to the highest difficulty and get oneshot by a Bandit.

     The music is beautiful. I don't know the context of it, but it is soothing and evokes some kind of emotion in me that I have difficulty identifying. It makes me want to summon an INFP (I should get a summon spell for that) and ask him/her to tell me what this bittersweet kind of feeling is supposed to be. I can't put it into words and I can't exactly understand it either. It's relaxing and it evokes some bittersweet memories...that's all I can explain.

#8. Midna's Lament (Twilight Princess [Wii/GameCube])
     Once again, I have to emphasise how I am an absolute GameCube fangirl and how Twilight Princess is not considered a GameCube game because it's more commonly played on the Wii. Twilight Princess is one of my most disliked games, because it tries way too hard to be depressing. Yes, the storyline is amazingly bleak and is admittedly quite intriguing and darkly beautiful, but it does not mean that the colouration of the game is any less exaggerated. It's too dark, too many shades of brown and blacks and grays, making the game look way less appealing. It's disappointing, since the concept of Link being a frigging wolf is extremely cool and Midna is one amazing female character.
     
      Midna the game's lead female protagonist and when compared to the other female characters that feature in other Legend of Zelda games, she's a pretty deep character who is awesome in her own right. While other female characters, like Saria in Ocarina of Time, tend to be your meek, teasing and shy little girlfriend, Midna is almost Tsundere. She's quite harsh and bossy towards Link, especially in his wolf form, but grows to care about her companion and harbours a dark legacy. The kind of attachment you grow to have for her character makes the moment where this song plays that much more heartbreaking. The consistent piano in the background, as such a key usually indicates, creates a sad and harmonious tune (actual piano terms, thank you). The overarching melody actually suits the situation perfectly and while I'm inclined to explain this, I don't want to give spoilers, since it's a rather big turn in the storyline.

#7. Ballad of the Goddess (Skyward Sword [Wii])
      Skyward Sword once again. I must admit, that if I were to judge by instrument and orchestral appeal alone, this song would be the top of the list. This song, after all, was created for an orchestra to play. I have heard all the Legend of Zelda Orchestra songs, and this is one of the most amazing ones. Sadly, the game itself is quite childish, possessing a rather shallow storyline that I find amazingly immature in comparison to something horrifying like Majora's Mask or deep like Twilight Princess. So...the song is quite inappropriate. It's still higher than some of the songs in this list because of the musical element of it. It is epic, it makes you want to go out and do great things...but sadly, you can't have either in the game.

#6. Palace of Winds (Minish Cap [GBA])
      Possibly the longest dungeon in my entire life. People who played Majora's Mask think Great Bay Temple was bad, or Stone Tower Temple was horrible, but they'd probably never played Minish Cap. Seriously, it's not like the Dungeon is particularly difficult to get through, unless you suck at fighting Darknuts (no Zelda fan should suck at this, really). It's just extremely long and tedious. Thankfully though, the music is amazing and you know you are in the last Dungeon of the game, so it's epic too.

     I love the concept of this dungeon. You have your little cape that you can fly short distances with and that's the concept of the Dungeon. The flying mechanic, coupled with the game's overall game mechanic, makes this Dungeon both a joy and a hassle to get through. It feels awesome to be able to ride the turbines and fly across huge gaps, but you take a miss or press the Left/Right button too much and you go soaring right to death. Doesn't help that the temple is literally above the clouds. 

     The music starts off with almost like a marching kind of rhythm, with trumpets blaring to welcome your arrival to the hidden Palace of Winds, obscured from the vision of all other earthly beings. After the first 30 seconds or so, the music takes on a more dangerous feeling, perfectly matching where you are. You are above the clouds, so high that it took numerous "tornado teleportations" to get to. Palace of Winds has a huge exterior and it seems like it was meant for people who could fly, due to the numerous floating platforms. You miss a jump and you go falling down. It's epic music at its finest, but spoilers, the boss isn't all that impressive. I found him astounding easy and ridiculous.

#5. Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time [N64/GameCube/Wii])
      Yes, Ocarina of Time fans, please kill me. How dare I? How dare I put this amazing piece of music at #5 only? This is the best creation Legend of Zelda has ever known. Seriously, this is exactly the attitude that has ended this song this low on the list. I cannot deny that it's amazing and has so much variation in just one theme, but people hype it up too much. I ended up expecting way too much of it before I've even heard it. Also, I think the orchestrated version is better...you want to fight?
      This is the song of the N64 and GameCube players of Legend of Zelda, I know, but pardon me if Ocarina of Time was not my first Legend of Zelda game or even the first on these consoles. I played Majora's Mask first, okay? Don't blame me. I was over at a friend's house when he suggested the game, thinking that as a girl I'd play badly. I still gloat over the look on his face when I completed the game record time with no deaths. How's that for a first time through a relatively difficult game?

     Still, this is one amazing song, both the original version and the orchestrated one. The original version makes me want to Tango, seriously, and I'm not even good at that dance. It's quite funny, seeing as how the song is supposedly related to Ganandorf. Can you imagine Ganandorf tangoing to this song with his female Gerudo pirates? Yeah, please erase that image or that sexual innuendo please. My brain is not ready for this. The orchestrated version is just extremely nostalgic and epic, as all orchestrated Legend of Zelda music are.

#4. Termina Field (Majora's Mask [N64, GameCube, Wii, 3DS])
      I'm just inviting my death today, aren't I? First, I put Gerudo Valley at #5 and then I dare put Termina Field at #4 (thus claiming that Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time, which it is) and not include Hyrule Field at all. How dare I choose the Termina version of the Hyrulian song? How dare I betray the homeland of our great hero? Yeah well, Termina Field's better and to be honest, Hyrule Field is just as epic, but lacks the interesting bits.

      Most of Termina Field's music is similar to Hyrule Field's. Where's the difference? From the very start, the music for Termina Field has a deeper and darker harmony, playing in the background of the original Hyrule Field. The purpose? It's simple. Majora's Mask is a dark game. A mask has possessed a boy who just wanted friends but could not find any. With the power of the mask, the Moon is about to collapse onto Termina and in three days, the whole of Termina would be destroyed, along with its inhabitants. To rub salt on wound, the game basically forces you to form bonds with the Termina inhabitants, by helping them out with problems. You get to turn back time with your Ocarina, but should you run out of time while in a dungeon, everyone you helped out will die. It's a rather dark storyline, isn't it? And at the end, you fight the most amazing boss ever, Majora's Mask, who is both inhumane and absolutely creepy, yet at the same time ridiculous and funny. 

     Pay close attention to the music from the 16 seconds mark. The queer little tune is what differentiates Termina Field from Hyrule Field. Hyrule Field has all the elements of epic adventure, but in my opinion, Majora's Mask inherently has a better storyline than Ocarina of Time. Also, the game, in the original Japanese version, was much harder. Termina Field's music just reflects the personality of the game so well. Oh, and must I mention, the feeling when you first step into Termina Field and hear the first few second of the song? Freaking amazing. The whole opening just screams...It's sunrise...BUT THE FRIGGING MOON IS GOING TO KILL US ALL.

#3. Ballad of the Wind Fish (Link's Awakening [GBA])
     Since this game is already exceedingly old, I have no qualms against spoiling the story. Do I think that Majora's Mask has the best storyline of all time for the Legend of Zelda games? No, I don't. In fact, this old GBA game, Link's Awakening, takes the prize. This game should be the ultimate hidden treasure of the series. The unique enemies, puzzles and quite depressing and psychotic storyline make an altogether amazing game.

     The storyline of the game is quite mind-blowing, especially since the game is meant for children. Link wakes up in a house with Marin and her father Tarin (who is modelled after Mario) and has no memory of where he is and how he ended up in her house. All he remembers is Princess Zelda. He recovers his sword and shield and is told by an owl, that if he wanted to leave the island, he had to gather instruments in order to wake the Wind Fish. During the search for the sixth instrument, Link comes across an ancient monument that reveals to him that the island, Koholint Island, he is on, and all its inhabitants, are just the product of a dream...the Wind Fish's dream. If the Wind Fish were to be awaken, all its inhabitants will disappear, with only Link having memory of their existence. 



     This is already quite a depressing prospect, since you would have formed bonds with the characters in the game, only to find out they are just products of a dream and will eventually disappear if you wanted to return to your world. Adding to it is Marin, who definitely has a crush on Link. In the game, Link and Marin go on a date, where she reveals that she wants to be a seagull and discover what the world is like across the sea. Very ominous, since there is nothing across the sea, because there can't be anything beyond Koholint Island. At the end of the game, link wakes up floating in a shipwreck, having memories of the Koholint inhabitants but with all of them gone. However, if you end the game without dying at all, you will see an extended ending credit, with the image of Marin as a winged woman in the sky, fading into a seagull, symbolising that she had attained her dreams.

     On top of that storyline, you have the unique enemies, many of which are taken from other games. You have Super Mario enemies, like the Goombas and Kirby enemies. There are unique ways to killing such enemies and the order and method by which you destroy them also create different results. Also, the game has many Easter Eggs, which I have never found on my own admittedly.

     Ballad of the Wind Fish can be called Marin's theme, since she sings the song to Link, who remembers it on his Ocarina. Marin can be found standing in the square of her village, singing the song over and over, not knowing that the song is what leads to the eventual demise of all of Koholint Island's inhabitants. "Demise" is what I call it, but as my friend has once said, Koholint never existed in the first place.

#2. Stone Tower Temple (Majora's Mask [N64, GameCube, Wii, 3DS])
      I had to do it, I had to place this song at #2. I wanted to place it at #1, but I decided against it. There is nothing wrong with this, none at all, and it's my favourite piece of music in Majora's Mask. I would literally play the Song of Time, go to Day 1, Song of Soaring to this Dungeon, Inverted Song of Time to slow time and then stand there and listen to the music, doing nothing else.

     It's such a creepy song, very fitting of the Dungeon and the game as a whole. The Dungeon has an amazing concept, unique to this game. You flip switches and the whole Dungeon inverts itself? Even the music inverts! Bloody amazing is what it is. Playing through the game with no guide and no experience is a pain and this Dungeon is the ultimate pain. You need to be able to have the foresight to be able to picture the Dungeon in reverse, knowing when to flip the switch and go inverted and when you just go through it as it is.


     Also, another one of the Dungeon's mechanic is to use Elegy of Emptiness statues to hold switches down. Yeah, Elegy of Emptiness, the origin of the most popular Legend of Zelda creepypasta - Ben drowned. The song where you create soulless soldiers that are a replica of Link's form? I'm sure we've all heard of that one. But just in case someone hasn't yet. It's a long story, so make sure you have time.

Thank you, Nintendo. This is clearly not creepy. I absolutely did no shit bricks when I first saw this in the game. And I absolutely did not drench myself in cold sweat once again at the age of 19 because I got to see this wonder in 3D. Yes. Look at that face. So lovable isn't it?


#1. Song of Storms (Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask)
      Yes, it's that crazy guy sitting inside the windmill in Majora's Mask, turning his music box again and again like some maniac. That creepy look on his face when he spins the music box faster as he speaks and then the weird conversation you have with him. He's only useful for the Bremen Mask in Majora's Mask, but that doesn't make him less memorable. If he isn't memorable to you, you have some issues. I mean like...he is really weird.

     In Ocarina of Time, if my memory does me justice, it's the song you learn from Sharp in order to take care of his brother, Flat. Or the other way round. It's just those two musical symbols which indicate black and white notes respectively. 

     It's a beautiful song and Song of Storms is right. Should I have put it above Stone Tower Temple? Definitely. While Stone Tower Temple simply reminds people of that horrid creepypasta and that Elegy of Emptiness statue that stares right into your soul, Song of Storms unites the fans of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Too much hostility between these two groups, one side claiming that Majora's Mask rips off Ocarina of Time, while the other claim that Majora's Mask is way better than Ocarina of Time (I belong here). The truth is that Majora's Mask is the sequel to Ocarina of Time, where Link sets off on a journey to find a precious friend, assumed to be Navi. These games are related. 

No comments:

Post a Comment