Sunday 31 May 2015

Animal Symbolism #1: Dove, Wolf

     Animal symbolism is a quite an interesting topic, since if you were to prescribe a certain set of qualities to a certain animal, aren't you, in a way, stereotyping the whole species? Wolves are generally treated as symbols of teamwork, because they travel and survive in packs, yet the lone wolf is a symbol of individuality and solitude, almost as if they are separate entities. Also, when you are named after an animal, it is expected that there is at least some interest in what your animal represents. Mine is a dove, specifically a white dove. 和平鸽 (he2 ping2 ge1), which translates directly to dove of peace.

1. Dove Symbolism
     Dove symbolism has seemingly inexhaustible flavour and dynamism throughout most histories, cultures and myth. They represent a number of things, from motherhood to promise to divinity to purification. I, for one, know which one of those symbols I'm named after, but that's a long story that I'm not going to bother with here.


     Since doves symbolise so many things, this website has kindly narrowed it down to a few keywords:
- Love
- Grace
- Promise
- Devotion
- Divinity
- Holiness
- Sacrifice
- Maternal
- Ascension
- Purification
- Messenger
- Hopefulness

     Since that part of my name was decided upon by all 4 of my grandparents, it was actually a combination of 4 different ideas. Of course, I'm just highlighting those keywords that come the closest to what they had meant when they gave me that part of my name. Really, I'm not one for meaningful names, but just those that sound nice. Names are just labels, there is no need for them to be so meaningful. But that's just a very baseless assumption. The fact that people use full names when trying to express seriousness or murmur names during sex means that they aren't just simply labels. But still, I really think that my name is messed up because in Singapore, the word 鸽 (ge1) just means pigeon. It's shocking how many people don't know that in Chinese, pigeon and dove are given the same name. "Why are you named after a pest?" ....Well, I'm not.

     And so I'm just going to quote the website, since I'm not very good with animal symbols that will include religion. Myth is fine, because people don't get pissy about it, but I refuse to touch something that I find ridiculous to fight over. You believe in what you will and I will believe in what I will. Just because I don't believe now, doesn't mean I can't be persuaded to believe. In fact, I do want someone to try, intelligently. I don't want to diss anyone and I don't want to diss myself either.


     "Aphrodite (Venus in Roman myth), the voluptuous goddess-mother of love, is often featured with a dove nearby in artistic portrait. Here, we get the sense of higher love; a love that is as large as the goddess herself. A kind of love that turns a blind eye to the typical foibles and downfalls of mankind -- and sees right into the heart of pure potential that is reveals only by viewing the soul through the lenses of love. As a love symbol, the dove conveys a kind of soulful ascension -- a higher admiration for the true value of unconditional love.

     Perhaps it's her softly lulling coos that won the dove's position so close to Ishtar's, Mother Mary's and Aphrodite's heart. Open your psychic ears at dawn and dusk and become enchanted by their rippling vocalisations. One can't help but become subdued by their gentle love-calls. Sweet churbles and downy wurbles are testimony to a divinely calming presence among us.

     And speaking of divine presences, the dove symbolism is often equated to heavenly visitations. John the Baptist even remarked (Matthew 3:16) how the "Spirit of God descended like a dove upon us." This is more than a poetic license because almost unanimously birds (of all kinds) have been viewed as celestial messengers. Doves, in particular -- with their docile appearance and soft ministrations -- can easily be angelic doppelgangers: Angels in the guise of avian benefactors.

     Coming down (just a notch) off that high-spirited comparison, doves in actuality are kind of fussy. Observe them in groups, and you'll note that they can be twitchy and nervous. It is a sign of their highly-developed sense of presence. They are intimately aware of their environment, after having been hunted for centuries.

     This kind of high sense of awareness is reminiscent of Hachiman, a Japanese God of War, who claims the dove as a sacred symbol. Amidst clamour, battle and jarring conflict, the dove of Hachiman is a symbol of peace that will (ideally) ensue after war as ended.

     The war-association with dove symbolism inevitably leads us to the concept of death. Not death, per se -- more appropriately, the dove is a symbol of the souls sojourn after physical life has retired. Slavic legend claims the dove is a symbol of the souls release from earth-bound duty. In fact, when a dove is seen, it is a clear sign of the soul's return to celestial realms. Furthermore, the dove's most popular appearance in spiritual consciousness is that of the Holy Spirit in Christian wisdom."

     Okay, I didn't read any of that, but I am not blind and I can see that last few words. What. I can't even. Grandma! Grandpa! What were you guys thinking? Were you guys thinking at all? Sheesh. Well, I guess the dove is a pretty bird...which is white. Can we have a black dove or something? Heard of black sheep of the flock? I'm probably the one black feather that discolours the white dove.

      My name, when taken together, 鸽 (ge1) meaning dove and 羽 (yu3) meaning feather means that it is completely legitimate for me to assume that I could be that one black feather, since colour is not mentioned. But doves can't have black feathers...well, I'm special.

2. Wolf Symbolism
     When I was younger, I would go back to China every year to visit my relatives. Well, those were the times when I couldn't speak a single sentence of English without inserting Chinese words. Now, I think it's the exact opposite. I'm just sitting with my relatives in a restaurant looking like a potato because my brain is trying so hard to process Chinese. The kinds of things that an English school does to you.

     Anyway, to boast about my home province, Sichuan, there is this frigging gorgeous mountainous region called Jiuzhaigou and I swear, I think it's the only place on earth that I think can compare to the beauty of New Zealand. Really, after I've been to New Zealand, it was next to impossible for me to think anywhere else is pretty...except Jiuzhaigou, because that place looks like it came right out of a painting.

     And that's just the waterfall area. When I went there in the spring, all I did was stare at it with my mouth open. You don't get to see this kind of thing in Singapore, definitely not, and all the tropical areas too. I think the transition from fall to winter was the prettiest, but that's just my preference of seasons.

     Getting back on track, there was this once where I went to live with the tribal people for a week. Okay, not exactly live with them, but that kind of experiential learning. I was too young to remember shit and I haven't asked about it, so my memory is quite vague. I just remember that my childhood friends and I were there and the village elders gave us animal totems when we left. I've lost the totems sadly, they were made of these carved pieces of wood. Mine was a wolf. Well, I was happy about it, since I've always liked wolves.

     Wolves tend to have quite bad reputation in the past, especially since they are often associated with violence and the bestial part of human nature. The wolf is supposed to represent the darkness of humans and I'm offended by that. Wolves are calm creatures and will only attack if threatened. They are the kind of animal who will respect you if you respect them and that means not trespassing their territories or breaching their comfort zones.
"Totem Wolf Meanings and Symbolism
     To understand totem wolf symbols, one must first understand the heart of the Wolf. This takes time because the Wolf has had to ensure many false stereotypes, misconceptions and misunderstandings.

     Not at all the picture of ferocity or terror, the Wolf is a creature with a high sense of loyalty and strength. Another misconception is that of the "lone wolf". To the contrary, the Wolf is actually a social creature, friendly and gregarious with its counterparts.

     The Wolf is an incredible communicator. By using touch, body movements, eye contact as well as many complex vocal expressions - the wolf makes his point understood. Those with totem wolf symbols are of the same inclination -- they are expressive both vocally and physically. Those who have the wolf as their totem animal are naturally eloquent in speech, and also have a knack for creative writing.

      Yeah well, I'm not exactly a good communicator, at least I don't think so. I sound like a bloody scholar in my head but when I speak, I think I sound like a complete idiot. Weird.

Keywords:
- Loyalty
- Cunning
- Generosity
- Intelligence
- Friendliness
- Compassionate
- Communication

     Totem wolf symbols belong to those who truly understand the depth of passion that belong to this noble creature. The Wolf is a representation of deep faith and profound understanding.

     Furthermore, the Wolf possesses a high intellect, and have been observed using strategies about hunting, habitat and migration.

     In history, the totem Wolf symbol appears with the founders of Rome, Romulus and Remus. Legend has it that the two founding brothers were raised and suckled by a she-wolf.

     In Norse mythology, the Wolf is a symbol for victory when ridden by Odin and Valkyries upon the battlefield.

Also, Fenrir the Unbound?

     As a Celtic symbol, the Wolf was a source of lunar power. Celtic lore states that the Wolf would hunt down the sun and devour it at each dusk so as to allow the power of the moon to come forth.

     In Asia, the wolf guards the doors that allow entrance to heavenly, celestial realms. The Wolf is also said to be among the ancestry of Genghis Khan."

     Hmmm, at this point I think it's quite fun to mention that...Do you know I share the same surname as Genghis Khan? In Chinese, Genghis Khan is written as 成吉思汗, of which the first word is my surname. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment