Monday 30 March 2015

So Apparently Your MBTI Can Change...

     I signed up for an MBTI testing (those paid ones from legitimate organisations) about two months ago and today, I finally received my results through email.

     And...my MBTI changed? I'm no longer an INFP apparently. It doesn't surprise me at all, though. I have constructed some theories on why I have changed, but since they are not a concrete theory yet, I'll wait until I give it more thought. Of course, it's without a doubt that a person can't just get up and decide to change their MBTI one bright morning. Despite the various faults the MBTI system possesses, it is still a relatively accurate analysis of a person's personality. While a person may seem two-faced, everyone's core personalities should remain relatively stagnant.

      Still, it's not quite as shocking as one may think and I think that's partly attributed to how INFP is, in the first place, an extremely unstable MBTI. An absolute idealist who is an introvert - that seems like the formula for failure in life. INFPs are the types to suffer a lot, mostly because they tend to idealise everything in the world and that's attributed to their Dominant Feeling function. When this function betrays a person and causes him/her great pain and regret, it is quite natural that the person would deliberately distort their world-view to avoid the same mistakes.

     Only 1 of the 3 letters changed, but from the MBTI functions post I've made previously, the change actually happened in 2 out of the 4 functions - in the Dominant and Inferior functions. I think I have given enough hints, so let's just move into the revelation...which isn't a big deal anyway.

    So what's my MBTI now?


     I went from being an INFP to an INTP. No big deal right? Except, the reversal of the Dominant Function and the Inferior Function is actually a pretty big deal. It's not an exact reversal, mind you, since the direction (extroversion/introversion) of the functions actually do change. My Dominant Function went from being Introverted Feeling to Introverted Thinking and my Inferior Function went from Extroverted Thinking to Extroverted Feeling. Everything else is still the same.

INFP: Introverted Feeling (Fi)
Seeks harmony of action and thoughts with personal values. May not always articulate those values.

INTP: Introverted Thinking (Ti)
Seeks internal consistency and logic of ideas. Trusts his or her internal framework, which may be difficult to explain to others.

     Before anyone's brains move to argue against the legitimacy of this test and the change it indicated. Let me just explain why I think this shift is absolutely normal. There's a personal reason, which isn't really that important, and a more theoretical one. It's a theory I have quite a bit of confidence in.

The Personal Reason: It took me quite a while...a very long while, in fact...to fish myself out of an emotional shit-hole that I dug for myself. As the extremely proud individual I am, on the inside at least, I am adamant to not commit the same mistake again. I have come to the conclusion that before I decide to make any emotional commitment about anything, I need to weigh carefully the costs of that commitment and the possible benefits I can reap. Basically, a cost-benefit analysis. Applying that to the situation I got myself in previously, I realised how insanely rash my actions were and thus, the determination to change and an extreme abhorrence of any situation like the previous one. In short, avoiding emotional commitment like the plague, because it's more often than not not worth it.

The General Reason: The Feeling and Thinking function basically describes a person's preference in decision-making. Preference meaning what you would choose if you had any control over the situation. A person who prefers Feeling rely more on emotions and a person who prefers Thinking rely more on logical analysis. My theory is that as a person grows older, it is very common that they become more inclined towards Thinking. While emotions remain important in some ways, people begin to realise that without logical analysis and thinking before making a decision, the decision is often rash and is something that would be heavily regretted. The only professions that would go against this theory would be nurturing careers, like being a Kindergarten teacher, where the process of nurturing strengthens a person's preference for Feeling. Most professions push individuals to think more.

      So being an INFP was a stage in maturing, I should say. The idealism isn't exactly childish, because it does help me build values and discover myself. The INTP was established when I became obsessed with making theories about random things, which is actually an extension of my previous obsession with discussing values. The intangibility of values made the topic stale and uninteresting after a while, so I turned to theory-forming and debating on those. I have many theories I wish to share, but alas, I am still a P, not a J, so plans will have to wait.


     I'll probably post more about the INTP when I have time...let's say Wednesday. I may change my mind, but that's the set date for now. A few extracts below from 16 personalities, which is a good website for people just starting to get to know their MBTIs.

     "The INTP personality type is fairly rare, making up only 3 precent of the population, which is definitely a good thing for them, as there's nothing they'd be more unhappy about than being "common". INTPs pride themselves on their inventiveness and creativity, their unique perspective and vigorous intellect. Usually known as the philosopher, the architect, or the dreamy professor, the INTPs have been responsible for many scientific discoveries throughout history."

     "They love patterns, and spotting discrepancies between statements could almost be described as a hobby, making it a bad idea to lie to an INTP. This makes it ironic that INTP's word should always be taken with a grain of salt - it's not that they are dishonest, but people with the INTP personality type tend to share thoughts that are not fully developed, using others as a sounding board for ideas an theories in a debate against themselves rather than as actual conversation partners.
      This may make them appear unreliable, but in reality, no one is more enthusiastic and capable of spotting a problem, drilling through the endless factors and details that encompass the issue and developing a unique and viable solution than INTPs - just don't expect punctual progress reports. People who share the INTP personality type aren't interested in practical, day-to-day activities and maintenance, but when they find an environment where their creative genius and potential can be expressed, there is no limit to the time and energy INTPs will expend in developing an insightful and unbiased solution."

     "They may appear to drift about in an unending daydream, but INTPs' thought process is unceasing and their minds buzz with ideas from the moment they wake up. This constant thinking can have the effect of making them look pensive and detached, as they are often conducting full-fledged debates in their own heads, but really INTPs are quite relaxed and friendly when they are with people they know, or who share their interests. However, this can be replaced by overwhelming shyness when INTP personalities are among unfamiliar faces and friendly banter can quickly become combative if they believe their logical conclusions or theories are being criticised."

     It seems to me like an INTP is an INFP who found her place in the world and finally decided that idealism isn't going to get her anywhere. I'm speaking personally, of course, but I think that's quite true for most INFPs. It's quite painful to live in such blinding idealism. Might as well settle down and learn to focus your extremely active mind on theories rather than fantasies, eh?

"It's obviously wrong! I mean, you can't just assume that ___! Do you feel me? No? Really? Let me explain...please...LET ME EXPLAIN!"


No comments:

Post a Comment